Clean water is a huge deal.
- Over 1.5 billion people do not have access to clean water.
- 80% of all illnesses in the developing world are related to water borne diseases.
- About half the world’s hospital beds are occupied by someone with a water related illness.
- The water and sanitation crisis claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns.
- In Africa alone, people spend 40 billion hours every year walking for clean water.
What are we doing about it?
We are sending Lifestraws to the Gambia, which has very serious water problems. The Lifestraws filter 18,000 gallons of water over their lifetime, enough water for a family of 5 for 3 years.
Long Term Solution
Because a Lifestraw isn't a permanent solution, we are looking into building wells in Africa. Last summer we co-sponsored the building of a well through Charity:Water, but in the future we would like to finance the building ourselves.